Fiscal Compliance Manager, DYS Central Office
Company: State of Massachusetts
Posted on: February 17, 2020
The Department of Youth Services (DYS) is seeking a dynamic and
experienced individual for the role of Fiscal Compliance Manager.
Reporting to the DYS Budget Director the selected candidate will
provide expertise and technical assistance in matters such as
Federal, State, Secretariat and Agency compliance requirements.
Other areas of assistance will include policy and procedure
development, fiscal analysis and management, proactive reporting
and communicating with all external stakeholders.The selected
candidate will alsoensure conformity with the agency objectives and
compliance with existing state, federal, and department laws,
rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. The incumbent will
provide the program administrators, Chief Financial Officer, and
Budget Director with fiscal information needed for effective
administration and financial management, identify, develop and/or
implement policies and procedures to improve internal controls and
ensure financial compliance._Duties and Responsibilities (these
duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):_
- Manage activities consistent with compliance requirements of
federal, state and trust accounts such as reporting, procurement of
good and services, and contract execution.
- Assist in the development of internal policies and procedures
relating to internal controls and accounting methods, provide
support for reviews, inquiries and audits, create and maintain a
professional relationship with all contacts.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer in developing the
Departments internal control plan.
- Oversee and maintain the Departments compliance calendar.
- Develop the agenda of the quarterly Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
Prevention (FWAP) meetings.
- Conduct internal audits of fiscal activities and recommend
corrective actions as necessary.
- Assist in the collection, synthesis, and dissemination of data
to improve outcomes as it relates to fiscal compliance.
- Partner with purchase of service contracts, fiscal, and capital
units and regional offices to improve synergy across agency fiscal
- Make recommendations to Budget Director and Chief Financial
Officer in the preparation of annual and supplemental budget
requests as well as forecasting and providing justification for
- Manage communication, documentation, and reporting for
interdepartmental service agreements (ISAs).
- Develop and maintain spreadsheets for analytical reporting and
evaluation of accounts. Evaluate the efficacy and impact of state
and federal policy on budget planning and reporting and make
recommendations to Department policies and procedures (increase
compliance, efficiency, and accuracy).
- Partner with Budget Director and Chief Financial Officer in
developing, analyzing, and updating an Executive Staff financial
- Direct, monitor and provide ongoing technical assistance and
instruction to program administrators and/or fiscal administrators
on spending plan completions, account reconciliations, report
development of the Commonwealths Management Accounting and
Reporting System (MMARS) and reporting accordance with regulatory
requirements and Department policies and procedures.
- Represent the agency as the liaison for the COMMBUYS
procurement software._Preferred Qualifications:_
- Advanced degree in business/public administration, finance,
accounting, or economics.
- Ability to manage federal accounts due to the cyclical nature
of the states budget cycle.
- Expertise in managerial planning, organizing and monitoring of
fiscal activity to meet the required deadlines.
- Thorough knowledge of financial/budgetary management and
- Knowledge of the States accounting systems (MMARS and LCM) and
- In-depth knowledge of the States laws, rules and procedures in
the areas of budgetary and financial control.
- Knowledge of federal grant awards and their related oversight
and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of DYS internal budgetary policies, procedures,
reporting and internal spending plans.
- Strong and/or excellent analytical, financial modeling (Access
and/or Excel), interpersonal skills, problem resolution and written
- _About the Department Of Youth Services:_The Department of
Youth Services (DYS) is the juvenile justice agency for the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts. We work with young people who are
detained or committed and provide detention, custody, diagnosis,
education and support to young people ages 12-21. Most of the youth
served are between the ages 14 and 18. The Department promotes
positive change for the youth committed to our care, and has been
on the forefront of de-institutionalization, in part, by providing
adolescent-focused rehabilitation to youth in residential
treatment.The goal of DYS is to focus on youths gradual
reintegration back to the community as productive citizens. DYS
works in partnership with provider agencies, law enforcement and
school officials, families, communities and others to ensure that
the services provided are effective and that they create pathways
to success for the young men and women in DYS care and custody. By
working in close collaboration with these entities, DYS can
continue to help make communities better and safer places.For more
information please go
Compensation_As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a
wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve - but
it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package
features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should
consider towards your total compensation, including:
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance
- Low cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred
Compensation 457(b) plan
- 11 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and
- Tuition Benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and
- Short-Term Disability and Extended Illness program
- Incentive-based Wellness Programs
- Professional Development and Continuing Education
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness
Program_PRE-OFFER PROCESS_:A criminal background check will be
completed on the recommended candidate as required by the
regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human
Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information,
please visit: http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori and click on
"Information for Job Applicants".Education, licensure and
certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human
Resources Divisions Hiring Guidelines.Education and
license/certification information provided by the selected
candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and
may be published on the Commonwealths website.For questions, please
the contact the Executive Office of Health and Human Services Human
Resources Department at 1-800-510-4122 and select option #2.MINIMUM
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:Applicants must have at least (A) four (4)
years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional,
professional internship, administrative, supervisory, or managerial
experience in business administration, business management, public
administration, public management, clinical administration or
clinical management or (B) any equivalent combination of the
required experience and substitutions below.Substitutions:I. A
certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for
one (1) year of the required experience.II. An Associates degree in
a related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required
experience.III. A Bachelors degree in a related field may be
substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.IV. A
Graduate degree in a related field may be substituted for three (3)
years of the required experience.V. A Doctorate degree in a related
field may be substituted for the required experience.An Equal
Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities,
veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to
apply.Job: *Accounting and FinanceOrganization: *Department of
Youth ServicesTitle: Fiscal Compliance Manager, DYS Central
OfficeLocation: Massachusetts-600 Washington StreetRequisition ID:
Keywords: State of Massachusetts, Attleboro , Fiscal Compliance Manager, DYS Central Office, Administration, Clerical , Attleboro, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!